What do I need to consider when choosing my STD or STI test?
For an accurate result, all STD or STI tests need a minimum window or incubation period. This is the time between the incident that you are concerned about, and the time of the test. If you have a test too soon, an infection that you have, may not be detected and you may test negative when you are not. For accurate results it is important that you are honest about your incubation period.
There is no maximum time period for testing. You do not have to be tested on any exact date once you have reached the minimum time. Most people do not have any symptoms if they have an STD or STI so it is important to test regularly.
STD STI tests available at any time when you have symptoms:
- Blemish Screen - to establish if the cause of a swab of a visible wart, spot or blemish is due to syphilis, HPV/Genital Warts and Herpes I/II
- Herpes I/II by swab or urine
- HPV/ Genital Warts if you have a suspected wart
STD STI tests available at any time:
- Women only: High Vaginal Swab
- Women only: Comprehensive Cervical Screen (PAP Smear with HPV)
- Women only: PAP Smear for Cervical Cancer
- Women only: HPV typed DNA
STD STI tests available 10 days after any incident:
- Early Detection Screen for Hepatitis B Hepatitis C and HIV
- Hepatitis C
STD STI tests available 14 days after any incident:
- Early Platinum Screen (using the Early Detection Screen for Hepatitis B Hepatitis C and HIV)
- Comfort Screen
- Peace of Mind Screen
- Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea
STD STI tests from 28 days after any incident:
- Platinum Screen
- Full Screen
- Hepatitis Screen
- HIV I/II and p24 antigen test
- Hepatitis B
- Herpes I/II without symptoms
If you choose to test with Better2Know we will not disclose to anyone that you have attended an appointment. However the laboratory where your sample is analysed will follow national regulations in the event of a positive test. This may include providing photographic ID at the time of giving the sample. All Better2Know screens are flexible and you can choose which STIs you wish to be tested for.